Saturday, April 30, 2011

Free Wheelchairs for Disabled People

I am over 65 years old and I am on Medicare. These past few years, I have been unable to walk steadily. A disease had atrophied the muscles in my legs. It got so bad that I could barely move at all. Luckily under the Medicare program, I was able to get a free wheelchair. Medicare paid 80% of the approved amount and then I got donations from other organizations to cover the other 20%.

In order to qualify for a free wheelchair for senior citizens under Medicare, you have to meet several conditions. First you have to have a health condition which makes it difficult for you to move around the house. You also have to be able to use the wheelchair safely. Or at least you must have someone that can help you use it. There are different types of wheelchairs that you could get. Most people would end up with the manual wheelchair. Basically you would get one of these if you could not use a car or a walker. If you cannot use a manual wheelchair, you could get a power scooter. To get the power wheelchair, your doctor would have to examine you and determine that you really a power scooter.

For those people that do not have Medicare, you could find organizations that will give you free wheelchairs. There are many non-profit organizations that help disabled people, children, or just about anyone that needs a wheelchair get a wheelchair. Free Wheelchair Mission and Wheelchair Foundation are two organizations that help people all over the world.

Now that I have a wheelchair, I can get around my home much easier. I can also go outside more. I feel like the wheelchair has given me a lease on life. It is good to be able to go places with more freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment